Public Educator/Fire Prevention Inspector
GEORGINA FIRE & RESCUE SERVICES
Is Hiring a Public Educator/Fire Prevention Inspector
Grow your future with this great opportunity to join our team in the Town of Georgina!!
Public Educator/Fire Prevention Inspector (Full Time Permanent) (Job# 2023-94)
Responsible for inspecting premises within the Town to determine compliance with applicable codes and regulations; and for developing, implementing and evaluating public education programs, including marketing and delivering these programs to schools, service clubs, businesses, the general public and other community groups.
- Review plans and conduct on-site inspections of various buildings and occupancy types to ensure compliance to the Fire Protection and Prevention Act (FPPA), Ontario Fire Code, other relevant legislation and bylaws
- Inspect and witness testing for fire protection systems
- Evaluate, approve and enforce Fire Safety Plans
- Prepare reports and maintain detailed records about inspections
- Issue orders to ensure compliance
- Utilizing applicable legislation, select the appropriate action to ensure fire and life safety compliance including enforcement proceedings Part I and Part III under the Provincial Offence’s Act.
- Act as an assistant to the Fire Marshal under the provisions of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act (FPPA)
- Conduct fire investigations related to origin and cause
- Assist in the development and delivery of public education programs
- Develop and deliver effective fire prevention and safety education programs for businesses, community groups, residents, schools and/or other community bodies
- Coordinate the implementation of targeted educational programs within the community
- Creates and maintains a variety of records, reports and correspondence as required
- Provide technical support and training for fire department personnel
- Participates in the Town’s Health & Safety Program and complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, other applicable legislation and best practices
- Maintains knowledge of and adheres to all Town of Georgina Policies and Procedures
- Participates in ongoing Training and Development and ensures all mandatory requirements are met and maintained
The foregoing is intended to outline the general description of the duties and responsibilities for this position. It is not intended nor should it be interpreted as a complete description. The Town of Georgina reserves the right to amend this position description at any time provided that such change does not represent a substantive change in the purpose or essential nature of the position.
Education and Training
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Fire Protection Technology or a closely related field
- Must possess current First Aid and CPR
- NFPA 1031 Fire Inspector I and II, and NPFA 1035 Fire and Life Safety Educator I and II are required
- NFPA 1033 Fire Investigator required
- Qualified as a Building Official (General Legal and Fire Protection) BCIN Number required
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience in inspections, sprinkler design, fire prevention and/or public education
- Demonstrated experience of property inspections, codes, by-laws, acts and related regulations
- Demonstrated experience of reading building permits, standards, and manufacturers installation manuals
- Demonstrated experience of the installation or maintenance / design of fire protection systems i.e. sprinkler, fire alarm and kitchen suppression systems
- Demonstrated experience or knowledge of Public Fire & Life Safety Education Programs
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the Ontario Fire Code, FPPA, NFPA and the Ontario Building Code
- Demonstrated ability to review plans and drawings
- Demonstrated understanding of fire investigations processes and ability to facilitate them
- Knowledge and understanding of the technical aspects of sprinkler, standpipe, fire alarm, and voice communication systems, combustible and flammable liquids; and other factors relating to fire safety prevention and protection
- Proficiency in MS Office is required, experience with fire department management software is considered an asset
- Strong presentation and oral communication skills
- Ability to read, interpret and apply relevant legislation and regulations
- Detail oriented; demonstrated ability to write detailed technical reports and correspondence
- Skilled research capabilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
- General office work, and on-site inspections
- Must possess a valid G Class driver’s licence – drivers abstract required
- Must provide a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a detailed resume with cover letter indicating how your qualifications meet our requirements.
Applications should be submitted by visiting us on our website https://www.georgina.ca/municipal-government/careers/current-opportunities no later than 11:59pm on Sunday, September 24, 2023. Please quote job posting #2023.94 in the subject line.
Committed to diversity and a barrier-free environment
The Town of Georgina is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. We encourage applications from people with disabilities and will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Team if you require an accommodation(s) and we will work with you to meet your needs throughout any stage of the process. Please be advised that this information will be treated in a confidential manner.
The selection process for this position may include a practical test and/or interview.
Personal information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of candidate selection. Further information concerning the collection of personal information should be directed to the Human Resources Manager, Town of Georgina, 26557 Civic Centre Road, Keswick, ON L4P 3G1 (905) 476-4301