Smoking materials are the number one cause of fire deaths. Follow these simple smoking safety tips to prevent a smoking-related fire in your home
- Never smoke in bed, when drinking or taking medication that can cause drowsiness.
- Always use large, deep ashtrays on a sturdy table.
- Before you throw out butts and ashes, make sure they are out. Dousing butts in water or sand is the best way to do that. This is especially important in high-rise buildings. Never discard butts or ashes off your balcony as they could start a fire below.
- Check under furniture cushions and in other places people smoke for cigarette butts that may have fallen out of sight.
- Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used.
- Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children's sight and reach. When possible, smoke outdoors.
- Install a photoelectric smoke alarm above your favourite place to smoke. If you have a fire, you will get the early warning you need to escape.
- The best way to prevent smoking fires is to quit. For help with that, review these tips for quitting smoking.