Fire Training Officer - Orangeville Fire Services
The Town of Orangeville (“Town”) has an opportunity available for the position of Fire Training Officer. This position is responsible and accountable for performing functions and duties related to the design, development, planning, maintenance, and evaluation of internal and external education and training programs and courses with an emphasis on the health and safety of staff.
- Lead co-ordinator for live fire training; teaching subject matter as an individual, team member or as needed; communicating training methods effectively; developing and implementing training Safe Operating Guidelines (“SOGs”) and procedures; and participating in training including drills, performance evaluation drills, ongoing skills maintenance, practice, and any other mandatory training.
- Maintaining and auditing accurate employee training files and records, including attendance and performance records; developing annual training schedule and assigning instructors; preparing and administering the Fire training budget; ordering and stocks training related resources and materials; co-ordinating development and revision of SOGs and administrative procedures as directed by the Fire Chief; and may assist with the Firefighter recruitment process.
- Supervising other certified instructors; co-ordinating activities associated with the ongoing development of Firefighters, Volunteer Firefighters and new recruits, including co-ordinating examinations, scheduling and implementing training academies, and developing training packets; delegating training activities and lead instruction to assigned instructors; and monitoring and reporting unsatisfactory training performance of personnel.
- Reporting to emergency scenes as a Safety Officer as needed; representing the Fire Service at multi-jurisdictional training events and committees; fostering and enforce a safe training environment; maintaining high skill set through ongoing education and courses; liaising with representatives of other Town departments, other Fire Services and local, provincial and federal agencies; attend open houses, public-facing events and workshops as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- NFPA 1001 Fire Fighter I and II
- NFPA 1021 Fire Officer I
- NFPA 1041 Fire Instructor I
- NFPA 1521 Fire Department Safety Officer, or ability to complete within six months of hire
- Valid DZ Driver’s License
- Currently employed in a Municipal Fire Service, with a minimum of five (5) years of firefighting experience.
- Demonstrated leadership, management and team-building skills to effectively coach, motivate and direct the work of others; planning, forecasting, and financial/budget management skills; knowledge and understanding of information/records management principles and techniques; and proficiency using word processing, spreadsheet, and database software packages.
- Knowledge of effective performance management and training and development techniques; ability to interpret and apply the collective agreement; well-developed communication, facilitation, and public relations skills to build relationships within the corporation and community.
- Ability to problem solve beyond conventional methods, champion and manage change, gain the co-operation of others, and build confidence among peers and the community; creative/innovative focus on service delivery, respect for the diversity of opinions and perspectives, comfortable with a high level of ambiguity and constantly changing priorities.
- Maintain a thorough and current knowledge of fire ground safety, tactics and techniques, Emergency Medical Services off-line protocols.
- Knowledge of and experience with Fire Protection and Prevention Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Ministry of Labour related legislation, Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act, National Fire Protection Association, Ontario Fire Code and the Ontario Building Code.
- Knowledge of modern firefighting and emergency response methods / equipment, demonstrated background in fire technology and adult education, thorough knowledge of the current trends relating to the administration of fire fighting and training activities, and thorough knowledge of safety precautions used in fire fighting.
Successful candidates will be required to complete a background check, including but not limited to a Vulnerable Sector Check, in accordance with the duties of this position.
Salary: In accordance with the collective agreement between the Corporation of the Town of Orangeville and the Orangeville Professional Firefighters Association
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes, in confidence, to Sarah Mayer, Co-ordinator, Human Resources, no later than 4 p.m. on Monday, February 12, 2024. Applications may be submitted online, or in person to the Town Hall located at 87 Broadway. Please do not email your application.
To select the best candidates to serve the Town of Orangeville and its people, several screening tools, including Police Record Checks are required as part of the hiring process for some employment or volunteer positions. When requested, applicants are required to provide a Police Record Check as a condition of their offer of employment. Police Record Checks must be dated within three (3) months of the employment offer to be considered valid. The specific type of Police Record Check required will be indicated in the job posting qualifications.
The Town of Orangeville is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. By submitting your personal information to the Town of Orangeville, you consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of that information in connection with our recruitment, hiring and/or employment processes. Personal information on this form is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c.25, as amended, and will be used to determine the qualifications for employment with the Town of Orangeville. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Manager, Human Resources at 87 Broadway, Orangeville, Ontario L9W 1K1.