The Training Officer is responsible for the development, organization, delivery and evaluation of training programs for full-time firefighters with an emphasis on health and safety. Training programs to include, but not limited to, driver training, pumper operations, fire suppression techniques, high-rise operations, auto extrication, emergency first aid, ice/water rescue, rope rescue, hazardous materials/decontamination, and other specialty courses.
Job Duties Include
The responsibilities and duties of this position includes but is not limited to:
- Conducts training with new recruits and fire suppression staff in all aspects of the fire department operations including instruction plans, coordinating training materials and details and creating evaluation methodology.
- Conducts research for policies, procedures, techniques, and equipment.
- Assists and maintains accurate training schedules and records in learning management software.
- Assists with preparation and facilitation of firefighter promotional exams.
- Assists and supports fire suppression crews at emergency incidents as required.
- Emphasizes health and safety throughout training activities.
- Works in compliance with Town of Ajax policy and procedures, relevant legislation, and industry guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a full-time career firefighter.
- Thorough knowledge of NFPA Programs and requirements.
- NFPA 1041 Fire Instructor I is required and willing to complete Level 2 within 12 months.
- NFPA 1021 Fire Officer I is preferred.
- Technical Rescue Training in the following 1006 disciplines preferred: Rope, Auto Extrication, Water, and Ice.
- NFPA 1072 Hazardous Materials/ Emergency Response Personnel Professional Qualifications is preferred.
- NFPA1521 Incident Safety Officer is preferred.
- Must possess as a minimum current and valid Standard First Aid with CPR BLS/HCP.
- Completion of Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) or Instructor is preferred.
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Proficient in learning management software (Vector Solutions Software) is considered an asset.
- Maintain good physical condition to perform physical requirements of the position including fire suppression duties and live fire and technical rescue training.
- Valid DZ driver's license with a driver's abstract satisfactory to the Town.
- Upon being hired, able to provide a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Demonstrates a commitment to personal and professional development.
- Ability to read, interpret and apply relevant legislation and industry guidelines.
- Demonstrates a high level of knowledge in emergency response operations including apparatus, equipment, and fire suppression techniques.
- Solid written and oral communication skills.
- Highly organized and able to coordinate multiple training opportunities.
- Considerable knowledge of Adult Learning Principles to instruct and educate staff.
- Ability to follow Fire Department Work Instructions to complete tasks as assigned.
What we offer to staff
Rate of Pay: $122,202 per year (2021 rates)
Hours of Work: This position is covered by the Ajax Professional Firefighters’ Association and the position works 38 hours per week over a 4 day work week.
Benefits: The Town offers full-time staff a comprehensive benefit package with paid sick, vacation and personal leave days; Employee & Family Assistance Program; Health & Wellness Program, Town of Ajax Fitness Centre membership; plus a defined benefits pension (OMERS pension - https://www.omers.com/).
How to Apply
Applications are accepted online until 11:59 p.m. on February 29th, 2024.
We would like to thank all applicants however, please note that only those selected to attend an interview will be contacted and all other applicants will be kept on file. Applicants are advised that written, oral and practical testing may form part of the selection process.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Town of Ajax is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity within the workplace. As we grow, it is important that our workforce becomes more reflective of the residents we serve to further the diversification of ideas that makes Ajax a great place to live and work. The Town of Ajax respects, encourages and celebrates our diversity. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process, please make your needs known to HR Services in advance.