Director, Fire & Emergency Services/Fire Chief
The Town of Caledon is a dynamic municipality that successfully balances urban, rural, and agricultural communities. Our energetic staff are guided by our core values that create an environment for continuous improvement and customer service excellence.
In addition to offering exciting career opportunities, the Town also provides a competitive and comprehensive total rewards package. Come see how you can make a difference.
Reporting directly to the Chief Administrative Officer, this role is responsible for the organization, operation and administration of the Fire Department and Community Emergency Management Program. The Fire Chief through leadership and strategic direction will establish plans, programs, budgets, policy and procedures, by-laws and other legislation which affect the Department’s operation. The position is also responsible for the management, including supervision, and evaluation of staff and for providing technical advice on fire protection and prevention matters to all Town departments.
This position as part of the Senior Leadership Team, plays a key role in the implementation of the Town’s strategic plan and the management of corporate goals, priorities and actions plans consistent with Council policies ensuring that all services are delivered efficiently, effectively and responsibly.
As the Director, Fire & Emergency Services/Fire Chief, you will perform the following duties, including but not limited to:
- Seek continuous improvement and develop an effective strategy through researching and assessing suitability of new technology and state of the art equipment and improving the operation of the Department
- Direct the development, planning, and delivery of fire prevention and life safety programs, community safety programs, and fire service training programs to department staff per the Establishing and Regulating By-law
- Develop professional relationships with key stakeholders including other municipalities, professional organizations, and staff (i.e. Regional Fire Coordinator, Joint Fire Communications Centre (JFCC) Management Advisory Board, Regional Emergency Operations Center, and Dufferin County Emergency Operations Center)
- Manage fire department personnel through leadership, evaluation, monitoring, communications, and strategic planning so that staff function safely and effectively including maintaining effective labour relations to promote and maintain excellent relations with the association’s stakeholders and volunteer firefighters
- Prepare annual operating and capital budgets, Council reports, attend Committee and Council meetings and participate in various related committees with other Town Departments and outside agencies
- Supervise in-house and contracted staff assigned to perform work and activities as defined herein. Collaborate with HR on people-related programs. Provide input to the career development of assigned staff, including technical direction, training recommendations, coaching and mentoring
The Ideal Candidate
We are seeking an experienced professional with a post-secondary degree in Business Administration or a College Diploma in Fire Services Management/Administration, public or business administration or equivalent industry training, programs, diplomas and certifications or a closely related field. Certified with National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Fire Officer III Level and Certified with National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Fire Officer IV Level is preferred. Our ideal candidate has ten (10) years of progressive responsibility in a municipal fire services organization, preferably in a unionized environment and 5 - 7 years of leadership experience as a senior officer with relevant labour relations experience (minimum of 2 years in a composite fire service)
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated knowledge of fire suppression and fire prevention principles, procedures, techniques and equipment and thorough understanding of the operation and maintenance of fire equipment. We are seeking an individual with superior knowledge of the existing legislative framework related to municipal operations; administers and enforces acts such as the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, Ontario Fire Code, Ontario Building Code, Provincial Offences Act and Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act.
The successful candidate for Director, Fire & Emergency Services/Fire Chief will be required to work a flexible schedule, including in the office, remotely and after hours (as required).
This position offers a salary range of $159,915.08 - $195,976.18 plus a competitive benefit package.
Closing Date: October 8, 2023 @ 11:59pm
Satisfactory passing of a vulnerable sector check and proof of qualifications will be required of any successful candidate(s) for this position.
The Town is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The Town is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive and barrier-free workplace. If your application requires accommodation, please contact People Services at (905) 584-2272 Ext. 4738.
How To Apply
To learn more about employment with the Town of Caledon and to apply for this exciting and challenging opportunity, visit: www.caledon.ca/careers
If needed and upon request, this document can be made available in an alternative format.