Water your Christmas tree to avoid disaster this holiday season
MiltonNow.ca
 

We’re a few days into the 12 Days of Fire Safety by the Milton Fire Department (MFD).

Milton Fire Chief Peter Gatto spoke with us about holiday fire safety. He says the kitchen is still a place that people need to keep an eye on.

Chief Gatto continues by telling residents to always water their real Christmas tree. He says it’s a combustible material in your home, so make sure to keep it away from any ignition sources. Those include fireplaces, radiators, and television sets – anywhere that keep heat up.

Candles are also a focus for the MFD as many will light them to create ambience during the holidays. Chief Gatto says you shouldn’t leave candles unattended and make sure they are out of reach from children and pets.

A constant battle for the MFD is reminding residents of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. As we enter the colder months, Chief Gatto reminds residents to not barbeque in their garage. You can read more on the silent killer here.

Always have a fire escape plan, and make sure you have working fire extinguishers in your home that are easily accessible.

The 12 Days of Fire Safety began on Sunday, December 12th. It features 12 vital fire safety topics that protect you against seasonal risks – including electrical, cooking, and heating fire prevention.

Follow along with the MFD’s Twitter account for up-to-date safety tips regarding fire safety information over the holidays.