UPDATE: Fraser Park Marina fuel station remains closed after Saturday explosion

Calm is slowly returning after a scary incident at Fraser Park Marina in Trenton on Saturday around 12:30 p.m.
But the marina's fuel station is still closed until further notice as of late Sunday morning after a boat fire and explosion sent five people to hospital.
Quinte West Mayor Jim Harrison talks about the moment it happened and credited local emergency crews for their quick response to a situation that could have turned out worse than it did.
"I just happened to be over at the fishing derby when I heard the bang and saw the smoke.", said Harrison.  "Wow, it went fast."
"I know they did an excellent job.  They were right on scene rapidly and had it under control within a few minutes."
The mayor reacted to five people ending up in hospital because of the fire and subsequent blast.
"It's a sad situation and I'm sure no one ever wants to see that happen or even be close to it.  It's just one of those terrible things -- terrible."
This is the second major situation that Quinte West has experienced this summer, after the collapse of Highway 33 (Trenton-Frankford Road) after a malfunction at the Sonoco plant north of Trenton resulted in a flooding of a section of that roadway.
Harrison emphasized how well the city has dealt with the road collapse and Saturday's explosion.
"We've had a very busy summer and weather conditions and different things contribute to various situations -- and you have to deal with them quickly and make sure that whatever continues to be  usable and safe for everybody."



Several people were injured when a cruiser boat caught fire at the Fraser Park Marina in Trenton.

The incident occurred at the fuel station at the Marina on Fraser Park Drive, off Dundas Street East at around 12:30 p.m. Saturday.

Quinte West Fire Chief John Whelan said the vessel "exploded" when the owner tried to start the 34-foot boat after it was fueled at the station.

Five people, two adults and three children, were confirmed to be on the boat, and the City of Quinte West said in a release they were injured. 

Three people were taken by paramedics to Trenton Memorial Hospital, while two were taken to Kingston General Hospital.

Whelan said a man and his 5-year-old daughter were treated at KGH, and a 12-year-old child was among those who went to TMH.

A marina staff member, a summer student, was also injured and was taken to hospital.

The City release said the boat sank after firefighters extinguished the fire.

Whelan said the investigation into the incident has been taken over by the Ontario Provincial Police. 

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the people who were injured in this terrible accident," said Quinte West Mayor Jim Harrison. "We are working to remove the boat from the river and to resume normal operations at the fueling station as soon as possible."

The City contacted officials at the Ministry of Labour and the Ministry of the Environment.

Arrangements have been made to clean up the spilled fuel and remove the boat from the river.

The fueling station is closed, but will reopen as soon as possible. 

<back to Headlines