UPDATE: ‘Fast attack’ by firefighters, working alarms saved Port Hope home from ‘significant damage,’ fire chief says
NorthumberlandNews.com
 

PORT HOPE -- An “offensive fast attack” by firefighters and working smoke alarms saved a home from “significant damages” after a fire Tuesday, June 25.

Emergency crews responded to the fire on Jiggins Court just before 8 p.m. Tuesday, June 25.

“On arrival, crews completed an offensive fast attack on what was determined to be a room and contents fire in the basement of the single-family residence,” said C. Ryan Edgar, fire chief and director of the Municipality of Port Hope Fire and Emergency Services, in an update at about 4 p.m. Wednesday, June 26.

Port Hope fire remained at the home on Jiggins Court until just before midnight June 25 to complete an overhaul of the scene and to assist the family in the early stages of recovery.

There were no injuries reported as a result of the fire.

As for the damage caused by the fire, Edgar said the estimate by the insurance company is about $50,000.

The fire was caused by a candle left unattended in a bedroom area – though fortunately, the bedroom door had been left closed, which allowed firefighters to access the room before the fire spread outside the area of origin, said Edgar. Working smoke and CO alarms inside the home allowed for early detection of the fire, said the chief.

In a tweet after the fire on June 25, Edgar said, “Excellent work by @PortHopeFire crews tonight on Jiggins Court in #PortHope. “Working smoke, plus CO alarms, early detection and an offensive fast attack by crews saved this residence from significant damages.”

<back to Headlines