Unattended candle cause of $200,000 St. Catharines fire
The Standard

Firefighters were still on scene at 15 Woodelm Drive in St. Catharines on Tuesday morning following an overnight fire.

A neighbour saw the fire and woke the three residents of the home who all escaped safely. The fire began when a candle was left unattended on a patio behind the garage. The fire then spread to the garage and attic before making its way inside, said Dave Upper, deputy fire chief for the St. Catharines Fire and Emergency Services.

Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors were all working in the home but because the fire began on the outside of the building and travelled through the attic, none of the alarms alerted the sleeping residents.

The damage to the home was extensive, estimated at $200,000.

The family has been relocated.

<back to Headlines