Sheep, chicken die in Chatsworth barn fire

Sheep, chicken die in Chatsworth barn fire
By Rob Gowan
Owen Sound Sun Times
Link to article: Sheep, chicken die in Chatsworth barn fire

A couple of fires in Chatsworth kept crews busy throughout the early morning hours on Wednesday.

Nobody was seriously injured in either of the fires, but about 100 sheep and about 30 chickens died in the first fire, a barn fire near Holland Centre.

Chatsworth Fire Department Chief Mike Givens said his department received the call at about 12:45 a.m. When crews arrived the fire was fully involved.

“We could probably see the glow in the sky from the flames from five or six kilometres away,” said Givens. “Shortly after we arrived it had collapsed in on itself so it was really going.”

Givens said fire crews set up a defensive attack to keep the fire from spreading to anything nearby and worked to suppress the blaze. Four trucks and 14 firefighters from the Chatsworth department were on scene. The Grey Highlands Fire Department also responded with two tankers to assist with shuttling water.

Givens said crews were able to keep the fire contained to the barn, which was an older stone foundation, wood sided structure.

Givens said a 20-year-old woman with suspected smoke inhalation was taken to hospital for precautionary reasons.

Givens said the cause of the fire is likely to remain undetermined. He was planning to revisit the site later Wednesday, but it was likely not to be deemed suspicious.

Givens estimated the cost of the barn in the neighbourhood of $75,000 to $80,000 plus the loss of the livestock.

Then, just before 3 a.m. the call came in about another fire at a mobile home on Highway 6 north of Sideroad 9B near Williamsford. Because the Chatsworth department was already at the barn fire, the West Grey Fire Department's Durham station was dispatched to that fire, responding with three trucks and several firefighters. Givens and a firefighter from his department also responded to provide assistance, while a tanker and some firefighters from the Chesley and Area Fire Department were also called in.

In that fire, smoke alarms alerted the occupants, who together with their pet dog, were able to exit the residence safely. A 46-year-old man and a 10-year-old girl attended the Durham hospital as a precaution for suspected smoke inhalation.

Givens said a resident of the home had heard a loud pop and then shortly afterwards the smoke alarms started to go off.

The fire looks to have started in a small addition built onto the side of the mobile home. Givens said the fire was contained to the addition, but there is extensive fire, smoke and water damage to the residence.

“The room in which the fire was contained too had polyethyline sprayfoam in it, so there was really, really heavy black smoke in that room,” said Givens. “Probably half a mile away, as we arrived, you could actually see it and smell it pretty good, coming from a distance.”

Givens said the fire is not deemed suspicious, with the loss possibly in the $100,000 range.

<back to Headlines