Overloaded circuit possible cause of early morning fire
Overloaded circuit possible cause of early morning fire
September 19, 2017
Sudbury.com
 
A detached storage shed and two nearby homes were damaged in an early morning blaze on Downing Street in Minnow Lake.
 
The call for help went out at 4:37 a.m. It took 13 firefighters from two stations to contain the fire that severely damaged the shed. No one was injured in the fire, nor was anyone displaced by it, though 10 people had to be evacuated.

The fire itself caused severe damage while smoke damage was moderate.
 
The damaged in estimated dollar loss is $35,000.
 
The safety message issued by the Greater Sudbury Fire Service regarded overloading electrical circuits using “octopus outlets,” plugs that increase the number of electrical cords that can be connected to a single circuit.
 
“If additional outlets are needed have them installed by a licensed electrician,” the fire service advises.” Check cords for damage such as fraying or nicks. Extension cords should only be used as a temporary connection.”