OPP investigate carbon monoxide death

OPP investigate carbon monoxide death - (ARMOUR TWP) – Ontario Provincial Police are investigating a carbon monoxide death that occurred Sunday in Armour Township.

Around 3:30 p.m., the Almaguin Highlands Ontario Provincial Police, the Burk’s Falls and District Fire Department along with Parry Sound and Muskoka Emergency Medical Service (EMS) attended a residence on Rat Lake Road in Armour Township after receiving information that two residents were unresponsive.

Emergency crews administered CPR to the couple. They were transported by ambulance to the Huntsville District Memorial Hospital.

The 84-year-old female regained consciousness, however while en route to the hospital the 84-year-old male was pronounced deceased.

The Almaguin Highlands Ontario Provincial Police have concluded their investigation and the death is considered not suspicious.

A post mortem was conducted and the cause of death was determined to be consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Toxicology tests are pending and are necessary to confirm the cause of death, according to the OPP.

OPP wants to remind residents that carbon monoxide poisoning is caused by exposure to too much carbon monoxide — a colourless, odorless and tasteless gas. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be especially dangerous for people who are sleeping or intoxicated. The fumes may be fatal before anyone realizes there's a problem.

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include a dull headache, weakness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision and loss of consciousness.

Various appliances fuelled by wood or gas produce carbon monoxide and it is recommended to install a carbon monoxide detector in every home.

Link to article: OPP investigate carbon monoxide death

<back to headlines