Man injured in hospital fire dies

IROQUOIS FALLS - A 66-year-old man who was injured in a fire at Anson General Hospital has died. James Smillie died in Sunnybrook hospital in Toronto on Monday where he was being treated for burns and other injuries sustained in the July 22 fire.

Smillie, who had been receiving care at the hospital in Iroquois Falls, was immediately transported to Toronto after the blaze.

The fire in the hospital room was caused by an open flame or cigarette which, it is believed, may have ignited with pure oxygen.

The fire was contained to the one room where the patient was located.

Both the Ontario Provincial Police and the Ontario Fire Marshal's Office told The Daily Press the incident is still subject to investigation.

“The OPP is assisting the Ontario Fire Marshal as they have the lead in this investigation,” South Porcupine OPP Const. Marc Depatie said on Thursday.

Link to article: Man injured in hospital fire dies

 

<back to headlines