Injured firefighter released from intensive care unit, Toronto fire chief says


Two firefighters were injured while trying to contain a blaze in a downtown Toronto building on Nov. 2. (John Hanley/CBC)

Toronto's fire chief says a captain who was injured on the job earlier this month has been released from the intensive care unit.
 
Chief Matthew Pegg says in a statement Monday that Capt. James Warren will stay in hospital until he is able to continue his recovery at home.
 
Warren and another firefighter were seriously injured while battling an blaze at a three-storey home on Nov. 2.
 
Pegg says Warren has been recovering in the ICU at St. Michael's Hospital for the last week.
 
He says the second firefighter is recovering at home.
 
The fire is being investigated as a case of arson and police have released a composite sketch of a suspect in the case.
 
"Both Toronto Fire Services and the Toronto Professional Firefighters Association will continue to support our injured firefighters and their families during the remainder of their recovery period," Pegg's statement says.
 

<back to Headlines