Fire destroys Port Dover home

Fire destroys Port Dover home
By Susan Gamble
Brantford Expositor
Link to article: Fire destroys Port Dover home

Norfolk County Fire and Rescue Services were called to a house fire on Saturday morning in Port Dover. The occupant of the home at 112 Chapman Street East was found face down in the backyard of the property and was taken to Norfolk General Hospital in Simcoe for treatment. He was reportedly released later in the day. Damage to the house, which was destroyed, is estimated to be in the area of $150,000. 
Brian Thompson/The Expositor

An early morning house fire in Port Dover sent one man to hospital and destroyed the house on Saturday.

Capt. Scott Pipe, who handles media relations for Norfolk County Fire Services, said a call came in at 3:46 a.m. from a neighbour that 112 Chapman St. E. was on fire and when firefighters arrived they found the small house fully aflame.

"Shortly after they arrived they found a male occupant in the backyard, unconscious," said Pipe.

The man was taken to Norfolk General Hospital and Pipe said he had heard, but couldn't confirm, he was released later that day.

But the house was destroyed.

"The fire was under control in about 40 minutes with Station 1 and 2 responding. It was a fairly small, single-storey home of about 700 square feet and we estimated the damage at about $150,000 for the house and contents."

There's no indication at this point about the cause of the fire but the Office of the Ontario Fire Marshal is now involved and will handle the investigation.

<back to Headlines