Family with 6 kids escapes blaze that destroyed Oro-Medonte home
BarrieToday.ca
 

An Oro-Medonte family will be scrambling to provide a Christmas for their six children after their home was destroyed by fire last night.

Oro-Medonte Fire Chief Hugh Murray said the first firefighters arrived on the scene at about 7:30 p.m. to find a "working structure fire."

Murray said firefighters from Stations 2 and 4 responded along with tanker support from Stations 3 and 5. He noted the fire was extinguished by about 11 p.m.

Fire crews, he said, remained on the scene until the early hours of Wednesday morning to keep an eye out for hot spots.

Murray says the cause of the fire is undetermined due to the extent of the damage. The family does have insurance and stayed with relatives last night, he said.  

On Wednesday morning, a GoFundMe page was set up by Trisha Walkem, who says it was her brother William and his family whose home was destroyed by Tuesday night's fire.

Walkem said everyone is safe, but the family is now without all their possessions. She said the family is grateful to have "emergency shelter" and are being supported by family members. 

The family is in need of clothing, supplies, and Christmas gifts for the children. So far, more than $1,200 of the $5,000 goal has been raised through the online fundraiser.

 

<back to Headlines