Electrical fire rips through Picton apartment causing $250K in damages
InQuinte.ca
 

An electrical fire that ripped through an apartment building Saturday displaced scores of residents in Picton and caused approximately $250,000 in damages.

Prince Edward County Fire Chief Scott Manlow said when crews arrived at the four-storey building on 113 Mary Street, flames and thick smoke could be seen billowing from the third floor.

“The whole building was totally evacuated with 12 apartments displaced as of Saturday night,” he said in an update to InQuinte on Monday.  “Two of the 69-units were destroyed by fire.  The neighbouring units were impacted by minor smoke and water damage.”

There were no injuries however one person was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation.

Manlow said an overheated power bar located in a bedroom is the prime suspect.

“With the amount of appliances plugged into the power bar encapsulated with the other combustibles in the area, the power bar overheated and caught the apartment on fire,” he explained.

Manlow added the structure of the building is fine but the interior walls of the apartment have to be ‘gutted and cleaned out.’

He will be heading back to the building Monday and following up with Prince Edward Lennox and Addington Social Services that have been assisting displaced residents.

<back to Headlines