East Hamilton townhouse fire causes $250,000 in damage
The Hamilton Spectator

A townhouse in the city’s east-end was scorched in a multiple-alarm blaze Tuesday evening.

In an email to The Spectator, Hamilton Fire Department assistant deputy chief Shawn De Jager said that emergency services were called to a structure fire on Harrisford Street, just off Greenhill Avenue near the Red Hill Valley Parkway, just before 6 p.m.

De Jager said the first crews at the scene reported heavy smoke and flames showing from the second floor of a midblock townhouse.

Deputy chief Dan Milovanovic said due to the “intense conditions,” as well as the multiple attached units, the fire was quickly upgraded to a multiple-alarm call and additional trucks and crews were dispatched to the scene.

De Jager said crews initiated an “aggressive interior” attack on the fire, which was quickly brought under control but not before it caused “extensive” damage. The adjoining units were not affected by the blaze, said Milovanovic.

The lone occupant of the home was alerted to the fire by smoke detectors and evacuated on his own, said Milovanovic.

“He met our crews in front of the residence and reported no injuries,” Milovanovic added, noting there were no injuries among firefighters.

De Jager said the fire is believed to have started in the kitchen and appeared to be caused by “unattended cooking.” Damages are estimated at $250,000, said Milovanovic.

Milovanovic said crews remained there as of 8:30 p.m. for “overhaul.”


<back to Headlines