Careless disposal of smoking materials caused downtown Windsor fire, say officials
Careless disposal of smoking materials caused downtown Windsor fire, say officials
June 14, 2017
CBC News Windsor
 
Windsor firefighters battle a blaze in the 300 block of Ouellette Avenue on June 14, 2017. (Dave Jewell/Leftys)

Windsor firefighters battle a blaze in the 300 block of Ouellette Avenue on June 14, 2017. (Dave Jewell/Leftys)

 
The careless disposal of cigarettes appears to be the cause of an accidental fire that caused an estimated $300,000 in damage in Windsor's downtown core Wednesday afternoon. 
 
Several buildings were evacuated as a large crew of firefighters battled the stubborn blaze that sent smoke billowing into the sky above Ouellette Avenue.
 
The blaze erupted just before 3:30 p.m., just half a block from University Avenue with the majority of smoke coming out the front doors of Ray and Kim's Super Convenience store.
 
Windsor Fire Services announced on social media "careless disposal of smoking materials" was the cause was of the accidental fire. The Ontario Fire Marshall's office was no longer required to investigate. 
 
A portion of Ouellette was closed by police. The fire, which appeared to be centred in the alley behind the retail shops, was under control by about 4 p.m., according to Windsor firefighters.
 
About 40 firefighters were on scene and they needed frequent rest and water breaks with today's temperature hovering near 30 C.
 
Onlookers, who converged on the scene to watch emergency crews in action, were kept at a distance by yellow police tape stretched across the road.
 
The public was advised to avoid the area.