Wasaga fire department issues warning after brush ignited Thanksgiving Day

Wasaga fire department issues warning after brush ignited Thanksgiving Day
By Chris Simon
Wasaga Sun
Link to this article:
Wasaga fire department issues warning after brush ignited on Thanksgiving Day

A brush fire kept emergency crews busy in Wasaga Beach for part of the Thanksgiving Day afternoon.

Four Wasaga Beach Fire and Emergency Management crews responded to a small fire about 150 metres from Freethy Road at about 1:30 p.m. Oct. 9. The blaze was located by a family walking in the area and was quickly extinguished by firefighters using shovels and portable water packs.

Deputy fire Chief Craig Williams said the location was only accessible by foot and the fire was likely caused by a careless person.

“There was garbage found in the immediate area which indicated someone had been there recently,” he said. “(We) remind people to not dispose of ignition sources, including cigarette butts, while walking along trails in forests. The dry leaves and pine needles do create an opportunity for ignition and fire spread.”

<back to Headlines