One dead after fire at high-rise in North York
One dead after fire at high-rise in North York
July 25, 2017
CP24
Article by: Codi Wilson
 
One woman has died after a two-alarm fire at a high-rise building in the north end of Toronto's Black Creek neighbourhood early Tuesday morning.
 
Toronto Fire officials say the fire was first detected by a personal support worker who went to the building, located on Shoreham Drive, near Jane Street and Steeles
Avenue, at around 5 a.m. to check on a client.
 
When firefighters arrived on scene, crews found heavy smoke on the eighth floor of the building.

One woman was located in the building without vitals signs and paramedics confirmed that she was pronounced dead a short time later.

 
The fire was contained to a bachelor apartment and was quickly extinguished.
 
The victim, who officials say was a long-time resident of the Toronto Community Housing building, is believed to be in her 60s.
 
A second person was treated on scene for smoke inhalation.
 
Toronto Fire officials say there is some indication that the fire may have been caused by careless smoking or a candle.
 
Toronto Fire Chief Matthew Pegg said the coroner was on scene on Tuesday morning and the Office of the Fire Marshal has been called in to investigate.
 
"Our hearts and prayers and condolences go out to all of the family and friends and everyone affected by the loss," he said. "It is a start to another tragic day.
 
Toronto Fire’s newly launched Fire Investigations Unit will be assisting in the case.
 
“In incidents like this that involve critical injuries or fatalities, they will work hand-in-hand with our colleagues at the Office of the Fire Marshal," Pegg said.
 
Speaking to reporters Tuesday morning, Mayor John Tory said the building had been inspected this year, as required.
 
"Obviously our job is to make sure these things don’t happen as best we can… and we will continue to do that," Tory said.
 
"My heart goes out to the family of the victim of the fire this morning."