Deputy fire chief says discarded cigarette probably responsible for $1 million fire in Milton

Deputy fire chief says discarded cigarette probably responsible for $1 million fire in Milton
Milton Champion

Milton Deputy Fire Chief Kevin Foster says an improperly discarded cigarette was probably behind a two alarm blaze, which caused upwards of $1 million worth of damage to a detached home on Yates Drive in the Thompson and Derry Road area of Milton late Sunday night.

The first arriving crews — around 9:30p.m. —  encountered heavy smoke and flames visible from the rear of the home.
 
Firefighters were originally called to the street for a reported large item fire possibly a deck on fire, but when they arrived found the rear of a home fully engulfed with flames shooting 20 feet into the air, said Milton Fire Chief Dave Pratt.
 
The fire quickly spread up the rear wall and into the attic area of the home before flames could be seen breaking through a portion of the roof.
 
A neighbouring home also sustained minor damage to its rear portion and deck area.
 
The Milton Fire Department deployed approximately 30 firefighters and six trucks to deal with the inferno.
 
No one was injured during the fire and it is not considered suspicious at this time.
 
Foster said an investigation into the fire concluded in the early afternoon of Monday, Sept. 10.
 
He said the blaze was accidental with the most probably cause being the improper discarding of "smoker's materials."